(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 01 Oct 2020, 11:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 10 [146 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019, 21:05    Post subject:  

Hi mister_electronico,

The last reserved space on this link is for the purpose of discussing remasters and security. But, I'll note here that once you've gotten everything sorted out you'll find there are three remaster applications available. The original isn't on the Main Menu but will appear on AppFinder. Both the following actually make use of it. Shinobar's remaster-x is included as (1) it was required to change the name from slacko to ceslacko. And (2) it will also be required if you want to do a remaster which will display the Quick-Setup First Run GUI when transporting to a different computer. nic007's nicos-remaster is recommended for everything else. The unattended option will generate a new puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs and zdrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs in a couple minutes. Unattended -- no decisions to be made, nothing to screw-up. Very Happy

None, however, will produce an ISO containing the boot mechanism required by UEFI. For that, you'll have to unpack the ISO to an directory, add those files and folders and use the included dir2iso (Right-Click, IIRC).

But maybe wait awhile. I'm following up on nic007's posts about running Puppies without a SaveFile/Folder. As you know, SaveFile/Folders are READ-WRITE --therefore corruptible. nic007's tools (one for USB-Sticks, one for Hard-Drives) converts your SaveFile/Folder into a READ-Only adrv. [Before that conversion you can rename any adrv to ydrv; or use PaDS to combine it and any SFS, pet or other package into a ydrv]. Thereafter, you can create a new adrv in a matter of seconds.

This all works great. What I'm working on is after getting rid of the SaveFile/Folder Puppy sees itself --correctly-- as PupMode 5 (No SaveFile/Folder) so ignores settings in Puppy Event Manager SaveSession and either nags about creating a Save or does so automatically. I've found a good discussion with code and am now trying to figure out how to work that into the shutdown routine that results from using radky's pupshutdown. Needs some testing.
darry19662018

PostPosted: Sat 02 Mar 2019, 02:10    Post subject:  

First up Mike thank you for this nice new Slacko 570 successor.

Looks very nice so far and running well so far on a Dell D620. Connected to cell phone through Frisbee for internet no problem. So far video playback and you tube and sound all working.

The choice of the older SeaMonkey is a great one works well.
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 02 Mar 2019, 04:48    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi mister_electronico,

The last reserved space on this link is for the purpose of discussing remasters and security. But, I'll note here that once you've gotten everything sorted out you'll find there are three remaster applications available. The original isn't on the Main Menu but will appear on AppFinder. Both the following actually make use of it. Shinobar's remaster-x is included as (1) it was required to change the name from slacko to ceslacko. And (2) it will also be required if you want to do a remaster which will display the Quick-Setup First Run GUI when transporting to a different computer. nic007's nicos-remaster is recommended for everything else. The unattended option will generate a new puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs and zdrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs in a couple minutes. Unattended -- no decisions to be made, nothing to screw-up. Very Happy

None, however, will produce an ISO containing the boot mechanism required by UEFI. For that, you'll have to unpack the ISO to an directory, add those files and folders and use the included dir2iso (Right-Click, IIRC).

But maybe wait awhile. I'm following up on nic007's posts about running Puppies without a SaveFile/Folder. As you know, SaveFile/Folders are READ-WRITE --therefore corruptible. nic007's tools (one for USB-Sticks, one for Hard-Drives) converts your SaveFile/Folder into a READ-Only adrv. [Before that conversion you can rename any adrv to ydrv; or use PaDS to combine it and any SFS, pet or other package into a ydrv]. Thereafter, you can create a new adrv in a matter of seconds.

This all works great. What I'm working on is after getting rid of the SaveFile/Folder Puppy sees itself --correctly-- as PupMode 5 (No SaveFile/Folder) so ignores settings in Puppy Event Manager SaveSession and either nags about creating a Save or does so automatically. I've found a good discussion with code and am now trying to figure out how to work that into the shutdown routine that results from using radky's pupshutdown. Needs some testing.

Hi, mikeslr

Just a few points. If you use the Options version of my remaster suite and choose to make an iso, all the files in the original iso (except of course the base sfs which is going to be remastered) will be copied over to the new iso (also efi stuff). I checked with the Xenial 705-uefi distribution. I do not know if shinobar's remasterx does this, depends how recently he has updated his script (older remaster scripts did not include these extra files in the iso). As far as the quick-setup goes: no, my script does not restart the system with this (I can include it if I want to) but it should show the woof, woof first boot screen from which you can access the network settings and setup options (all the options) anyway. So in a way this makes the quick-setup screen actually superfluous in my view.

ALSO - I'm not sure reading your post that you are suggesting that my remaster scripts do not reflect the name of the remastered files of the ce versions or any other versions correctly. If that is so, please PM the builtin remaster script of, say the ce version that is "problematic", so that I can compare the relative sections with my scripts and do the necessary ammendments of my scripts if necessary.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 02 Mar 2019, 11:43    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
If you use the Options version of my remaster suite and choose to make an iso, all the files in the original iso (except of course the base sfs which is going to be remastered) will be copied over to the new iso (also efi stuff).

Thanks nic, I didn't know that. Remaster-x can't do that.

As far as the quick-setup goes: no, my script does not restart the system with this (I can include it if I want to) but it should show the woof, woof first boot screen from which you can access the network settings and setup options (all the options) anyway. So in a way this makes the quick-setup screen actually superfluous in my view.

I agree that's the case for anyone already familiar with Puppies, or who can make some logical deductions. But for a newbie fresh off the ship from Windows' World --where Daddy holds your hand-- it solves the question "Now what do I now? Shocked "*

ALSO - I'm not sure reading your post that you are suggesting that my remaster scripts do not reflect the name of the remastered files of the ce versions or any other versions correctly.

No. That's not what I'm suggesting. The base file of the Puppy I was remastering was named puppy_slacko_5.7.1.sfs, with adrv and zdrv having corresponding names, intrd written to look for them, would create slackosave (sfs or folder) and the Help file used the name Slacko_5.7.1. I had used Remaster-X previously and knew that its opening GUI asks if you want to change the name and provides input fields for doing so. After placing a check-mark in the box and typing the desired name in the input box Remaster-x makes all the necessary changes without further user intervention: i.e. puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs and so on.

Perhaps the Options component of nic0S-remaster suite can also do that. But as you can tell I'm not familiar with all its capabilities. The only way to know what an application can do is to make frequent use of it; and thankfully doing a remaster with major changes isn't something one has to do often.

------
* Even without the First-Run Gui, Puppy on startup would not be any more intimidating than than Ubuntu. I consider First-Run a newbie-friendly innovation which I didn't want to loose if I could avoid that.
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 08:56    Post subject: Hi mikeslr  

Hi mikeslr Understood the purpose of this link, I have no knowledge of remastering any suite, but in the future or from now if you need help in things like:

Compile programs or make programs work with this distribution for the repository.

Make a translation of your distribution into Spanish.

Check different parts of the system for proper operation.

Oh, anything else I can help you ... you can request my help at any time.

I like this distribution and I hope it will improve over time.

See you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 13:29    Post subject:  

Hi mister_electronico,

Thank you for your generous offer. Especially exciting is that to make a translation into Spanish. But don't think of Slacko 5.7.2CE as my distribution except perhaps in the sense of an anecdote I recall from Law School, I think a course in Criminal Law, but more importantly emphasizing that we make up all the Rules by which we conduct ourselves.

Two litigants appear before the King who is sitting as the Highest Judge. The plaintiff says, "He stole my cow and I want it back."

The Defendant counters, "I stole it fair and square."

Like the Defendant, I can only claim that I stole the contributions of many members of the Forum 'fair and square'. Smile Don't hesitate to do the same. Laughing

Regarding other aspects of your offer, I'll email you.
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 10:29    Post subject: Hi  

"He stole my cow ..... Laughing

Many times even the most particular interests end up benefiting the entire community.

I will be waiting for the moment to help you.

Greetings.
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2019, 09:11    Post subject: Some ideas that could be interesting.  

Thinking about puppy slacko settings, normally a person who installs for example this distribution that does not have knowledge of puppy linux and perhaps not much computer knowledge, which wants to install puppy linux because they heard that it is a system that goes well with obsolete computers.

He decides to install this version slacko5.72 and nothing else to install it he is very happy because all the programs run very well and they go very fast.

But soon after working with puppy, he finds that everything starts to work much more slow and it reaches moments in it even crashes and does not know why.

And they end up leaving the distribution.

But why does this happen this?

People with computers with low resources of 512 Mb RAM or less, for example, start surfing the Internet, they begin to watch videos, and immediately they begin to realize that everything starts to go much slower.

They do not have to know that the seamonkey cache is stored in the case of this distribution in:

/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey .....

And that this makes the available RAM memory size decrease rapidly.

They also do not have to know that you can limit the cache in the browser, or that you can make a cache cleaning.

So maybe it would be interesting both in the case of seamonkey and other browsers, take out the program of the navigator outside the pupsave, as much the program as the data of cache of navigation and others.

Other distros of puppy lean on the hard disk, we could do something similar to windows a Program files, or create a memory cache on disk.

There are programs like mhWaveEdit that when load a bit large mp3 file directly block the system, when the converts it to wav inside

/root/.mhwavedit....

For example in mtPaint if we want to work with a slightly larger image, it will not let us do it because it will tell us that it does not have enough memory, simply by adjusting:

Images> Preferences> General> Max memory use for one

Put a value of 256 or more so that you can work well with the images, that these things can come configured in advance in the installation, it would make this distribution much more attractive.

This and multiple configurations that could be adjusted for the distribution we are working on, will life much easier for those people who start for the first time and who are working with low-resource computers.

Greetings.
kuman11

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 18:55    Post subject:  

mike,

This seems very handy.
What page's the d/l link for this version?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 19:24    Post subject:  

mister_electronico wrote:
People with computers with low resources of 512 Mb RAM or less, for example, start surfing the Internet, they begin to watch videos, and immediately they begin to realize that everything starts to go much slower.

They do not have to know that the seamonkey cache is stored in the case of this distribution in:

/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey .....

And that this makes the available RAM memory size decrease rapidly.

They also do not have to know that you can limit the cache in the browser, or that you can make a cache cleaning.

So maybe it would be interesting both in the case of seamonkey and other browsers, take out the program of the navigator outside the pupsave, as much the program as the data of cache of navigation and others.

Shouldn't be hard to make a Puppy-specific version of SeaMonkey, which places the SeaMonkey profile in, say, /mnt/home/.cache/mozilla, and sym-links it to /root/.cache/mozilla.....thus putting the cache outside of 'Puppy-space'.

Mike. Wink

kuman11

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 20:20    Post subject: When using a Ntfs ext HD where it's best to put Grub4dos?  

When using a Ntfs ext HD where it's best to put Grub4dos?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 21:23    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

Shouldn't be hard to make a Puppy-specific version of SeaMonkey, which places the SeaMonkey profile in, say, /mnt/home/.cache/mozilla, and sym-links it to /root/.cache/mozilla.....thus putting the cache outside of 'Puppy-space'. Mike. Wink

The catch is that until you have a /mnt/home it won't work. And if you never have a /mnt/home --such as converting your SaveFile to an adrv ala nic007 -- it also won't work.

What would work, and I'm surprised no one has yet provided a pet, is once you have a /mnt/home you just run the pet to automate the move + symlink procedure. Or better still, a pet which would identify where the Puppy_Version_Number.sfs is located, create a folder next to it, move cache into that folder and symlink it back to /root. Save and/or Re-Run nic007's SaveFile-to-adrv script whichever is appropriate.

@ kuman11 "When using a Ntfs ext HD where it's best to put Grub4dos?" Damned if I know. If it is UEFI running Windows, you could download and install LICK and use it rather than grub4dos. If your computer is NOT uefi, it is usually safe to have grub4dos write to the first hard-drive which your computer will boot. This will over-write whatever boot-loader is presently there but grub4dos creates a menu entry for Windows and has no problem booting it. That's what I do with my Laptop.

But I like to play it safe. On my desktop I installed grub4dos to a USB-Stick (the smallest I could find as grub4dos and associated applications needs less than 100 Mbs). Set bios to boot USB-ports before hard-drive. Plug in the Stick, boot Puppies. Unplug the stick, boot Windows. The reason I don't do this with my Laptop is that I've had a cat leap off a closed laptop >Newton's 3rd Law > Cat went one way, Laptop the other. The cat was unfazed, Smile Laptop had broken male end of USB-Key in USB-port, with neutered USB-Key beside it. Shocked Crying or Very sad
kuman11

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 03:09    Post subject:  

mike,

u haven't seen the other question, where's the d/l link for this new Slacko?

I want to use the Ext HD to boot up this new Slacko, from the same Acer running XSlacko I've asked u about before. No Win at all.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 09:44    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
mike,

u haven't seen the other question, where's the d/l link for this new Slacko?

I want to use the Ext HD to boot up this new Slacko, from the same Acer running XSlacko I've asked u about before. No Win at all.

Original post, third paragraph.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 13:41    Post subject:  

@ Mike:-

mikesLr wrote:
The catch is that until you have a /mnt/home it won't work. And if you never have a /mnt/home --such as converting your SaveFile to an adrv ala nic007 -- it also won't work.

Yah, you're quite right. This wouldn't work, for instance, for anyone who prefers running off Live CD/DVD multi-session, for instance. Or (as you say), in Nic's case; though that is rather the exception, as opposed to 'the rule'.....

Bottom line, I guess those of us concerned enough to want to do such a thing are, 9 times out of 10, also sufficiently knowledgeable to set that up for ourselves. It's another of those things for which you can't really publish a 'one size fits all' solution.....though God knows, it's the kind of solution I like to make available to as many Puppians as possible, as often as I can..!

Mike. Wink

Page 3 of 10 [146 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: